Monday 15 May 2006

Development Check!

Today I took my 8 month old baby to have his developmental check. They weighed him making sure he's growing physically. They checked that he's now eating and drinking not just milk. He needs to show some kind of mental development by showing signs of being alert and interested in his surroundings.
I am really proud of our little boy. I'm sure many parents can share the sense of their own child is fantastic. When the Health Visitor did all her checks and expressed how he had developed and was satisfied with her results. I was overjoyed to think that my little boy who was born only eight months ago is now showing signs of having his own personality. Already he expresses in babble noises where would like to go.

How disapointed I would be if he was still doing exactly the same as he was doing when he was first born. How dissapointed I would be if he was not showing any interest in what I was doing and laughing when I am being silly. How dissapointed I would be if in a year or two time he was still only doing that which he is doing now.

This helps me to think about myself and my development as a Christian. I ask myself, "Have I developed since I asked Jesus to be my Lord and Saviour? What about in the last year or even in the last 8 months?" Can I say I have moved on in God?

When I think about what it means to develop as a Christian, I think:
  • do I love Jesus more and more
  • how is my relationship with Christ
  • what kind of things do I pray about
  • how often do I hear God
  • what are my relationships like with my husband, family and my friends
  • am I serving the church
  • am I witnessing to people about Jesus

There are other areas in my life I could check my development. It is important not to drift, hoping that we are developing. Taking a good honest look at ourselves and assessing the results, however little or much we have developed it should motivate us to develop even further.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post Judith.Especially the last one on our thoughts and our words.This takes practice for us to train our thoughts and watch what we let in through our (eye-gates,ear-gates and what we let out of our mouth-gate).(gates being a metaphor for secure points of entry or exit).God has been speaking to me about this as this is also a type of fasting and consecration as well as the abstinance from food.We have to die daily until it is second nature to give it all up for his holiness.

Anonymous said...

Growth is an interesting concept. How much of it is effort and how much of it is nature taking its course? Definitely both.

In Philippians 2:12-13 Paul tells us to work out what God works in so in terms of being a Christian it's definitely a joint effort.

Growth hormones have an immensely powerful effect on our physical bodies how much more the indwelling Word of God and Holy Spirit!