Monday 7 May 2007

Hanging Basket

Well I wish my hanging basket looked like that one you see on the right! I was sat looking at my hanging basket in my garden thinking how pathetic it looks. I started remembering baskets I'd seen in other places and how wonderful and flourishing they looked. I wondered why mine looked so bad. It did not look that bad when I first bought it. Then I remembered back to when I did buy it. I specifically asked for an easy maintenance one, preferably one that lasts all year round.

Sometimes our lives can look a little brown round the edges. Or we can feel a little tired and need some of the old stuff pulled out. I have not really maintained my hanging basket the way the shop attendant suggested. When I went to pick it up I remember her saying to me you will need to pull out this and that, pointing to some flowers. Bring it in to me and I’ll put in some new ones for you. I just wanted a nice looking maintenance free basket. I hung it up, and apart from the occasional water in dry weather, that’s all it got.

When we spend time with God it can sometimes be what is the least amount I can get away with. We only get out of it what we put in. The beautiful hanging baskets I see in other places has probably had quite a lot of time and effort spent on them.

We can often look at other peoples lives and see how great they have become, or how in tune with the Spirit they are. We have no doubt in our minds that they will have spent many intimate moments with God. Maybe we need to look at the amount of time we spend in the presence of God. Maybe it is enough by the grace of God to keep things looking green all year round, and still growing a little, but is it enough to make us flourish and become outstanding in the Kingdom of God.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Judith, just featured you on my site and put you in my fellow blogger list.

Love the hanging baskets; Richard is being good.

Anonymous said...

Hi Judith! What you've said is so true. Now I know you have a blog I will be a daily visitor. Good to see Richard & Gavin today.
Bless you and your lovely family.
Annie Sherwin.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Judith!

You are so right - we need to be with our Father. His Word to us and our time with Him are Life to our hearts.

I read about you on Roger's blog...This is great! I'm glad to know that you are here!

=-)

Anonymous said...

Hi Judith - love your blog! I didn't need Roger's plug cos I've been a silent reader for a while. Love the way God speaks to you through life and you write in such a real clear and pratical manner. AND it looks good. Please keep going, it does me good.

Beth Jones said...

OK, so we had a 'look good - feel great' event in Cardiff - a day for ladies to get pampered and also recieve the real truth about feeling great = life with Jesus. It was a huge success. Today I am reading about your basket troubles and, although I totally get the message ... to leave you with no advice would be like one of the ladies not knowing that they look better in red than pink ... the bag is too large for your frame ... or this anti age serum really does work! So here's my trusty tip: tuck some good looking silk geraniums, pansies etc. in with your existing greens and you can gaze upon your basket with pride ALL SUMMER. No kidding! I learned this living in the USA with blistering summer heat, when your plants don't stand a chance, so I thought I'd pay my hot tips forward ;)

Anonymous said...

Hey Judith

Why have small, brown withering hanging baskets when we can have one like that!! You have beautifully captured what God is saying to us right now about spending time with him in the secret place - this is not an optional extra when we have time but essential if we are to see and experience everything God has for us - keep challenging and enouraging us - you do me good

Anonymous said...

Hi judith love your blog god must have sent me to your site it is so uplifting thank you and keep the faith bty i found out that its not your fault if you want big baskets .. you have been using the wrong ones.. the one in the pic is a bloom master i found them on my trip to utah last year bloommaster.com