Thursday 10 May 2007

Come To My House


Because I was expecting some people to come to my house last night, I spent the day shopping for food, tidying the house, preparing food and making sure the kids were ok in the meantime. It was such a hectic day, but the end result was a great time of fellowship with the fantastic group of people, you can see above.

I love having people round at my house. I love it when we eat together. I would love to do it more than just once or twice a week. But anything more than that is such a challenge. Why is this such a challenge. Is it because we like our own space more, or we get tired or is it that we like to make sure we get our own family time. When we read in Acts 2 how the people were devoted to one another and met daily, it is so different to how we live today.

Some people are so gifted at being hospitable. These are the kind of people you can drop in on at anytime and know that you will be made welcome whatever. It may mean that you might have to muck in with whatever is happening within the family, help do some cleaning or help with the children, but you know they are genuinely pleased you came. You are able to make yourself at home because you are allowed to be part of the family.

This is what I want for my family and home; to enjoy fellowshipping with people while living out my life. Last night was great but it took a lot of preparation. But I know that if I am going to live my life the way it talks about in Acts (how the early church were devoted to one another) I need to not worry about always being organised, or making sure my house is absolutely spotless. I need to allow the Holy Spirit to prompt people to come to have a time of fellowship. Be prepared though, you may have to do the washing up!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's really awesome, Judith! It is so good to know when we have that kind of family...and Father designed the body of Christ to be just that!

=-)

Anonymous said...

Hi Judith,

I will be meeting you in a couple of weeks in Grand Rapids MI! I came across your blog by recommendation of Roger Aubrey. I feel the exact same way you do about fellowship in our homes. It is a lot of preparation, but so worth it when all is said and done. There is a wall plaque that I saw the other day and it said, "Come as friends, leave as family." That is how I want my guests to feel, and believe me family does laundry : )

See You Soon,

Mary Hebron

Anna Sacha said...

hey! i luved coming to your home and i guess u consider yourself out of the group that is wonderful at hospitality but i felt the same when i was there.
so judith...i think u r right there and u have all the time to become better and better as we do in the Kingdom.
and btw...when I come to Manchester again, u bet, i will be definitely dropping in at ur home!