Thursday 23 November 2006

What Should I Do?


Have you ever ventured off far down a path only to realise, 'I think I chose the wrong path'. Along the way I made some difficult choices, spent a lot of time, money and effort getting this far. I've even made some sacrifices with my friendships, or family. If I was to turn back now it all would have been for nothing. I would loose face.

I have been reading in the Bible about Amaziah the King of Judah in 2 Chronicles 25: 1-10. He hired men from Isreal to be a part of his army. God told him not to use these men. Amaziah was concerned with the money he had paid to the men from Isreal for their services. God said that he can give Amaziah much more than that. Amaziah was right to dismiss those troops because if he hadn't he could have been overthrown in battle and lost so much more. I'm sure he got a bad reputaion as a result. The men he dismissed were pretty angry.

I find I can get swept along with some decisions that seem right at the time then expect God to bless them, or wonder why things are not going according to my plan. When we have gone down this path that takes us out of the purposes of God, it is best to take a U turn and get back to where God wants us. We may feel like a failiure or that we will make more losses in the process. God is so good that when we are obedient to him he blesses us. It takes so much more faith to trust God with our loss, and our embarrasment of changing our minds, than to just continue aimlessly hoping God will bless what we do. It takes so much more courage to say I was wrong to go this way then turn to do what God wants. This may even mean backtracking a little or lot to get back.

It is better to not look too great in everyone elses eyes and know you've obeyed and done what God wants. I know I don't want to be a big achiever in the world and in the eyes of men if as a result I achieve nothing for God.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Judith - I love the link to Manchester weather - do they every change that page or does it always say it's going to rain for the next 10 days (that's what it says now, honest!)

judith said...

I must say, it does occasionally surprise me with good weather!

Anonymous said...

Thats really amazing I have felt like this so many times in my life and your words have put my feelings into words and not only that given me direction for those occations aswell. Thanks Leanne M