Wednesday 21 March 2007

Appreciating Our Mothers



My youngest and I visited a play group last week. One of the activities that take place is a craft activity. This week they were making 'mothers day' cards. Most of the children are too young to really understand what they are doing. The most fun is the part where the children discover that it's ok to get messy with sticking and painting. The children are normally left to see what creation they can possibly make with pots of glue, glitter and sometimes clay. It was different last week. I noticed a lot of the mums sitting down with their child helping them to do their mothers day card! A lot of the children got bored with this craft activity and left their mums finishing their creation while they went off to play. The tables were filled with artistic mums making probably their own mothers day card!

Being a mother is one of those jobs that can often go un-noticed. We all love our mums, but I wonder how many of us really appreciate what they do, or have done over the years. Sometimes it is difficult to really appreciate something until we understand what amount of effort and love went into it. If we don't understand this, that act of kindness and love can be taken for granted.



I have always been close with my mum, but when I had my children I actually realised what it meant to me a mother. I believe this brought me closer to my mum. I have grown to appreciate all that she has done and all that she does. When our children are young we don't expect our children to show us apreciation all the time, but we do know that one day when they have gone through what we mums go through and becoming parents themselves, there will be a joining and a fresh appreciation. When I think about what I do for my children I don't expect anything in return. I do what I do because that's who I am. Whether my children understand what I do for them or not I will continue to do my best and lavish as much love as I possibly can upon them...
Thanks mum, for I know you do the same for me

No comments: